Why Sheep's Milk
WHY SHEEP’S MILK?
- Sheep milk has a higher nutritional value and higher concentrations of proteins, fats, minerals, and vitamins, compared to cow’s milk.
- Because of the unique properties of sheep’s milk, many with digestive challenges or who are sensitive to cow’s milk, like it.
- Sheep’s milk has higher levels of “heart healthy fats” (or what in food chemistry we call “polar lipids”) compared to cow’s milk.
WHY SHEEP’S MILK IS SO NUTRITIOUS?
Gram for gram, the superiority of sheep’s milk lies in the comparison with cow and goat milk – especially in the differences between levels of critical nutritional aspects like
- Vitamins B6
- B12 and D
- The medium chain amino acids
- Linoleic acids and all 10 of the essential amino acids
Sheep’s milk contains about one third more energy than cow or goat milk (making it a favourite of high-performance athletes). It has 70% – 80% more proteinand much more of the right kinds of fats, vitamins and minerals, particularly calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc, while being lower in sodium. It has more than twice as much Vitamin C, and double or triple the other essential vitamins. It also has more folic acid (folate).
People who are intolerant, find they can’t digest, or simply don’t like cow or goat milk, often find that sheep’s milk products are the only dairy they can enjoy.
For more detailed nutritional information and the latest studies on the functional benefits of sheep’s milk click here:
Here are the ingredients and the nutritional breakdown of our Velvet Cloud sheep's milk yogurt.
If you would like to know “How do you milk a sheep” or indeed you have any other questions for us please get in touch.