What are probiotics? Are probiotics good for you?
What is a probiotic?
Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are good for you, especially for a healthy digestive system. Your body is full of bacteria, both good and bad. Probiotics are often called "good" or "helpful" bacteria because they help keep your gut healthy.
The World Health Organization defines probiotics as “live organisms which when administered in adequate amounts confer a health benefit to the host”.
You can find probiotics in supplements and some foods, like yogurt. Doctors dieticians and nutritionists often suggest them to help with digestive problems.
How Do Probiotics Work?
Researchers are taking quite an interest in probiotic strains and their effects on human and animal health. In recent years there has been a surge in the study of probiotics, the human microbiota, and other related applications
some of the ways probiotics may keep you healthy:
- When you lose "good" bacteria in your body, for example after you take antibiotics, or have been on a diet of highly processed refined foods for a long period of time, probiotics can help replace them.
- They can help balance your "good" and "bad" bacteria to keep your body working the way it should.
Types of Probiotics
Many types of bacteria are classified as probiotics. They all have different benefits, but most come from two groups. Ask your doctor about which might best help you.
Lactobacillus. This may be the most common probiotic. It's the one you'll find in yogurt and other fermented foods. Different strains can help with diarrhoea and may help people who can't digest lactose, the sugar in milk.
What Do Probiotics Do?
Researchers are still trying to figure out which are best for certain health problems. Some common conditions they treat are:
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Infectious diarrhea (caused by viruses, bacteria, or parasites)
- Diarrhoea caused by antibiotics
There is also some research that shows they're useful for problems in other parts of your body. For example, some people say they have helped with:
- Skin conditions, like eczema
- Urinary and vaginal health
- Preventing allergies and colds
- Oral health
What are the Probiotics in Velvet Cloud Sheep’s Yogurt ?