From a previous blog post - Ideas for using blackberries you know that at the moment we have a huge amount of blackberries growing wild around the farm. These seems to be the most loved way to use them and is delicious topped with a big creamy dollop of Velvet Cloud yogurt. I don't like things with refined sugar in them, so I adjust my version, by replacing the sugar with a small squeeze of honey and replacing the flour for the crumble with oats.
Blackberry and Apple Mixture
- 300 g Apple
- 120 g Blackberries
- 30 g Brown Sugar or replace sugar with a squeeze of honey to taste
- 30 g Butter
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 60 g Caster Sugar
- 120 g Plain Flour or replace the flour with higher fiber oats
- 60 g Butter at room temperature, cut into pieces
- 60 g Flaked Almonds
- Heat oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C /Gas 5.
- Mix the flour and sugar into a large bowl.
- Add the butter, then rub into the flour using your fingertips to make a light breadcrumb texture, then add the flaked almond
- Sprinkle the mixture evenly over a baking sheet and bake for 15 mins or until lightly coloured.
- For the fruit mixture, peel, core and slice apples.
- Put the butter and sugar in a medium saucepan and melt together over a medium heat.
- Cook for approx 3 mins until the mixture turns to a light caramel consistency.
- Stir in the sliced apples and cook for 3 mins.
- Add the blackberries and cinnamon, and cook for a further 3 mins.
Spoon the warm fruit into an ovenproof dish, top with the crumble mix, then place in the oven for 5-10 mins at 190°C/Fan 170°C /Gas 5
Serve with a big blob of Velvet Cloud sheep's milk yogurt in each dish
If you like this recipe why not join our club of subscribers to get regular news from the farm, recipes and general craic, you can stick your email in the box at the bottom of the page. Or even better how about a FREE pot of Velvet Cloud ? I'll even refund you the postage if you don't like it because I know you will :)